An exceptional pair of late 19th century gilt terracotta wall brackets in the form of winged sirens. Originally commissioned for the important Elizabethan 'High House' of Campsea Ashe, Suffolk.
These brackets were sold from the living room of the house in the contents sale of 1949, catalogue lot number '1277'. The original auction catalogue is included. Each bracket is inscribed verso, 'W. Lowther'. William Lowther (1821-1912) purchased High House in 1883, and it remained in the Lowther family for the following 66 years (for more information on William Lowther and High House, please see below).
Each bracket depicts a fine Greek mythological winged siren. The use of terracotta as a material is likely little coincidence, with the application of gold leaf over fired terracotta being a known ancient Greek method in the creation of luxury reliefs and statues.
There is one very small chip to right wing tip of the smiling siren, otherwise the pair remain in a remarkably good condition throughout.
Provenance:
- Commissioned by William Lowther for High House, circa.1890 (please see below history for more information);
- Purchased in house contents sale of 1949; and
- Now acquired from direct descendant of original 1949 purchaser.
Dimensions
Height: 24cm
Width: 19cm
Depth: 11.5cm
History Of William Lowther (1821-1912) and High House, Campsea Ashe, Suffolk
William Lowther (1821-1912) bought High House from the Sheppard family in about 1883 and his family became residents of Campsea Ashe for the next 66 years.
Little is known about his early life, except that he was privately educated and then went to Magdalen College, Cambridge. He then entered the Diplomatic Service, as follows:
1841 – 1852 - Attaché to British Embassy in Berlin
1852 – 1858 - Secretary to the Legation at Naples
1858 – 1859 - Secretary to the Legation at St Petersburg
1859 – 1861 - Secretary to the Legation at Berlin
1861 – 1867 - Secretary to the Embassy at Berlin
1857 – 1868 - Minister to Argentina.
He married Charlotte Alice Park whilst working at Naples on 17th December 1853.
On settling back in England, the Lowthers lived in Mount Street, Mayfair, London, but upon receiving a bequest from his uncle, William built Lowther Lodge in Kensington and moved in there in 1875. It was a magnificent house which on his death was sold to the Royal Geographical Society who still own it today.
William was certainly not idle upon his return to England. As well as building Lowther Lodge, he was a JP and Deputy Lieutenant for Westmoreland and Cumberland as well as JP for Bedfordshire and Suffolk. He was also a Director of the London and N W Railway. In 1868, he was elected MP for Westmoreland and in 1885 he became MP for Appleby, a seat he held until 1892.
William's connection to Campsea Ashe in Suffolk was through his purchase of High House. On the death of its previous owner, John George Sheppard (the Sheppard family having owned it since 1652, John sadly dying without heir), High House was put up for sale in 1883 and it is believed there was much interest in the property, William being the successful purchaser. The Lowther family became residents for the next 66 years. Upon his death in 1912, William left the princely sum of £447,395 to his descendants, around £66 million in current terms.
There are numerous memorials to the Lowthers in the local Campsea Ashe church and churchyard which can still be found today. Most notable perhaps, is the beautiful east window within Campsea Ashe church which was erected by William and Alice’s children in their memory.
The house and its contents were sold in 1949. High House subsequently fell into significant disrepair following the stripping of its lead roof, and the house was sadly demolished in 1953.
Delivery
UK Mainland: FREE
International Delivery: Please contact us for a shipping quote.